Friday, February 26, 2010

Ariel: The accusation of "political correctness"

You know how many times I've heard the phrase, "Oh my God, stop being so PC!"? A lot. A lot a lot. It's beginning to annoy the fuck out of me. There are several reasons for this. Let's break out the list, shall we?
1) People usually use it to suggest that I'm dancing around the truth to avoid hurting peoples' feelings. So, whenever someone says to me, "Stop being so PC!" what they're really saying is that by purposely using, say, non-transphobic language, I'm lying. That transphobia (or whatever) is really *awesome* and that I should be courageous and/or grow some balls. As if it were courageous to marginalize other people. GRRRR.
2) Last time I checked, women and girls were socialized to be nice, inclusive, and non-threatening. Will you all make up your fucking minds? I suppose, then, that women should be all those things to white, non-fat, middle- or upper-class, Christian, cis-gendered men. Who I sincerely doubt need my protection.
3) The term itself is a misnomer. "Politically correct"? Really? Have you fuckers ever watched CSPAN? If there is a correct way to do politics, it has more to do with bashing POC on welfare (because, you know, they're obviously just lazy) and women who dare to have sex than being inclusive. Also, it's not like anyone deserves a gold star for not being a douchehound.
4) The people who tend to think being PC is a bad thing are usually the ones who are already protected by their own privilege, and don't need other people to self-edit to feel safe and valued. So where do they get off saying I should be more offensive and stupid? How does it affect them, except to make them more equal with others?

So, yes. Unless you're a serious masochist, don't you fucking dare accuse me of being PC.

Also, hi! I'm Ariel! I'll be adding to the general WTF around here. Pleasure to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment